Murray City High School

The 8 room Murray City High and Grade School 1907 (postcard)

1914 photo scanned and submitted by Kathy Faulk: Thanks Kathy!

Murray City High School History

(excerpt from the 1960 yearbook)

    The first school building in Murray City was built in 1885  and was in the same location as the present building.  As the enrollment increased, rooms were added until the building contained eight rooms.

    Citizens and school officials worked diligently to secure a high school in the community, and in 1906 Murray City High School received its charter as a third grade high school.  The classes of 1907 and 1908 were graduated under this charter.  Then a charter giving the school second grade rating was received and the classes of 1914-1919 were graduated under this charter.  In 1915, the high school received its first class charter.

    During these years the school had grown to such an extent that a larger building was needed.  Under the leadership of the Board of Education composed of John Walters, William Chivers, Alonzo Coburn, Isaac Hock, Dr. J. H. Elias, John Slater, and Edward Bryan, the present structure was completed at a cost of $40,000.

    Gradually new courses were added to the curriculum -- music, home economics, the industrial arts, and commerce.  The addition  of these subjects entitled the school to be rated a first class high school.

    In 1932, with the aid of local organizations, a gymnasium was added.  This made possible the extension of the physical education program and the inclusion of basketball for the boys.

    Thus the school continued in an orderly and satisfactory manner, and each year the class of graduates went out to find places in the world and make use of the education they had received.

    The community was roused from its complacency on March 30, 1950, when it was awakened by the fire siren announcing that the school was burning.  The question in everyone's mind was, "Will this be the end of our school?" But the citizens of the community, always willing to help, turned out with every conceivable type of cleaning equipment, and although considerable damage was done, the building was in a usable condition within a few days.

    During the summer, repairs and decorating restored it to good shape.  In September 1951, through a redistricting program, Murray City High School became a part of the East Hocking Local School District.  The school continued to operate under its first grade charter.

    The conclusion of the school term in 1957 marked the 50th anniversary of the first graduation from Murray City High School.  

    With the graduation of the class of 1960, the total number of Murray City High School alumni will reach 800.  The largest class, which totaled 31, graduated in 1939.  A class of two in 1915 was the smallest.  Twenty-one executive heads have directed the school during its existence.

    The present building will probably remain standing for many years and may be used by many elementary classes.  But the high school will remain only a memory of its former days.  We salute all those who have graduated in the past and hope thy will long remember happy days at M. C. H. S.

    (1960 was the last class to graduate from Murray City High School.  It then was consolidated with the Nelsonville-York school system in Athens county as an elementary school, with its future children graduating from Nelsonville York High School in Buchtel, Ohio. It was an elementary school up until the late 1980's, and now is a historical icon in Murray City.  An alumni dinner is held Saturday evening every Memorial weekend in the old Murray City High School Gymnasium.)

 

More Photo's

Murray City Graduating Alumni List and Photo's

HTML by  Sandra Mitchell-Quinn

Return to Murray City or to

Athens county, OHGENWEB

All Rights Reserved 1996-2004