Aaron Burnard family of Trimble Township
Photo contributed from the files of Deb Donley, contact Deb for a print of her photo. DMDONLEY@aol.com
Descendants of Aaron Bernard
Compiled by Sandra Mitchell Quinn, Imojean Lantz, and Deb Donley
corrections and additions welcome.
Generation No. 1
1. AARON2 BERNARD (JONAS1) was born 1824 in Ohio, and died 1880 in Athens County, Ohio. He was the son of Jonas Burnard and Kiziah Shilling. He married MARY MCCULOUGH April 04, 1845 in Athens County , Ohio, She was born 1829 in Pennsylvania, and died Aft. 1910 in Hocking County, possibly Coalgate.
Spouse: MARY MC CULOUGH
Marriage: 04 APR 1845 , Athens, Ohio
Source Information: familysearch.org/ Latter Day Saints Family History Library
Batch No.: Dates: Source Call No.: Type: Printout Call No.: Type:
Athens county Marriage Records on Microfilm
M513071 1812 - 1866 0311592 V. 1-4 Film
1850 Census Hopewell township, Muskingum County, Ohio Page: 84
Roll: M432_717: was living with his parents Jonas and Kiziah Shilling Burnard.
Jonas Burnard age 51 laborer farm born in Virginia
Casiah Burnard age 57 born in Pennsylvania
John Burnard age 19 laborer born in Ohio
Aaron Burnard age 26 laborer born in Ohio
Mary age 21born in Pennsylvania
Sarah E. 4 born in Ohio
Margaret J. 1 born in Ohio
(1850 census transcribed by Sandra Mitchell Quinn)
Jonas Burnard and Kiziah Shilling were married May 2, 1822 in Muskingum County, Ohio. In the 1840 census they appear in Monroe Township, Perry county, Ohio. In the 1850 census they are in the Hopewell township, Muskingum county census listed above. In 1860 they are listed in the Perry county, Monroe township, Ohio census.
1860 Perry county Monroe Twp., Ohio
Jonas Burnard66 VA Head
1860 census Athens county Trimble township census page 7 post office Trimble
Aaron Bernard 36 day laborer Ohio
Mary 28 born in Pa
Sarah E. 15 born in Ohio
Margaret J. 10 born in Ohio
William H. 7 male born in Ohio
Nancy A. 4 born in Ohio
Mary K. 3 born in Ohio
1870 census Trimble township Athens county
Aaron Burnard 46 male white Farm laborer $125 Oh
Mary Burnard 42 wife keeping house Ohio
Sarah E. Rutter 25 female domestic work Ohio
Thomas J. Rutter 1 male Ohio
Nancy Burnard 15 female helps mother Ohio
Mary Burnard 12 female helps mother OHio
Abraham Lincoln Burnard 9 male Ohio
Ullysses Grant Burnard 2 male Ohio
1880 Ward township Hocking county census page 179
Aaron Bernard age 56 farmer born in Ohio father in Va mother in Pa
Mary wife age 53 born in Pa Pa Pa
Abram L. son age 19 Oh Oh Pa
Ulysses G. son 11 Oh Oh Pa
Census Place Ward, Hocking, Ohio
Family History Library Film 1255034
NA Film Number T9-1034
In the 1910 Hocking county Ward township census Mary (McCulough) Burnard is listed as a widow age 81 born in Pa and parents born in Pa she had 8 children 6 were still living in 1910 living. She was living with son Grant Burnard.
Children of AARON BERNARD and MARY MCCULOUGH are:
Married William Rutter 9-22-1867 in Athens county, Ohio.
2. i. SARAH E.3 BURNARD, b. 1845.
ii. MARGARET BURNARD, b. 1847 Margaret Bernard she married Ludlow McClelland on 2-8-1880 in Athens County, Ohio.
3. iii. WILLIAM BILL BERNARD, b. 1852; d. June 14, 1926, Athens county, Ohio Chauncey.William is buried in the Russell Cemetery in Trimble Township, Ohio.
William BURNARD Self M Male W 28 OH Laborer OH OH
Nancy J. BURNARD Wife M Female W 28 OH Keeping House OH OH
Elizabeth M. BURNARD Dau S Female W 9 OH Attending School OH OH
John L. BURNARD Son S Male W 8 OH Attending School OH OH
Jonas M. BURNARD Son S Male W 6 OH OH OH
Ida M. BURNARD Dau S Female W 4 OH OH OH
Frances BURNARD Dau S Female W 1 OH OH OH
George BURNARD Son S Male W 3M OH OH OH
Census Place Trimble, Athens, Ohio 1880
Family History Library Film 1254993
NA Film Number T9-0993
Page Number 205D
Jonathan H. RUTTER Self M Male W 25 OH Laborer OH PA
Rachel RUTTER Wife M Female W 26 OH Keeping House OH OH
Henry H. RUTTER Son S Male W 1 OH OH OH
Joel L. SPEARS FatherL M Male W 52 OH Laborer ME OH
Elizabeth SPEARS MotherL M Female W 56 OH House Keeper PA PA
Mahlon SPEARS Bro-in-L S Male W 19 OH Laborer OH OH
Melvin RUTTER Brother S Male W 11 OH Attending School OH OH
In 1920 Bill Burnard was living in the Athens county Trimble township census as age 65 and widowed and was a coal miner by occupation. Living in Redtown near Jacksonville.
William Bill Harrison Burnard and Nancy Spears had 10 children: John, Martin, George, Aaron, Clarence, Mary, IDA, Lucy and 2 girls died in infancy. John Thomas married Johanna Huebner and had 10 children: Lucille, Wilfrid, Regina, Harold, Bernardine, Geneva, Edward, Madeline, Mary and Robert. Bernardine married Dean Butler and had 3 Children: James, Nancy and Joseph. The Cunningham name is linked to Ida Burnard she married Vincent Cunningham. Family stories have William's mother Mary Bernard as half Cherokee.
Aged Man dies in infirmary
Glouster June 14, 1926
William Bernard, 78, for a number of years a resident of this city, died a the infirmary at Chauncey Saturday night. He was taken there a few nights prior to his death.
The body was brought to the Andrews and Wallace funeral home of Front street in this city where the funeral will be held. Burial will be made in the Russell Cemetery near Jacksonville.
The funeral hour had not been set this morning.
Athens Messenger obituaries.
iv. NANCY BURNARD, b. 1855; m. civil war soldier Benjamin BYERS in 1904 in Athens county, Ohio. She lived as his housekeeper for Benjamin and his wife Margaret for many years. After Margaret died August 10, 1904 Benjamin and Nancy married.
1880 Census- Athens County Census Trimble 202 B
Benjamin F. Byers White Male 40 Farmer Brn Ohio Father brn Ohio Mother born Ohio
Margaret Byers White Female 43 Wife Keeping House Ohio Maryland Va
George S. Byers White Male 14 Son Attending School TN OH TN
Mary A. Byers White Female 12 Daughter Attending School TN OH TN
Olive L. Byers White Female 7 Daughter Attending School OH OH OH
Perley E. Byers White Male 1 Son OH OH OH
Nancy Burnard White Female 24 single Housekeeper OH OH OH
Census Place Trimble, Athens, Ohio
Family History Library Film 1254993
NA Film Number T9-0993
Page Number 202B
Athens county Marriage Record:
v. MARY KIZZIE BURNARD, b. 1858; m. Thomas Johnson, 2nd she married Henderson Tippie.
vi. JANE BURNARD, b. Bef. 1860.
4. vii. ABRAHAM LINCOLN BURNARD, b. 1861, Athens County, Ohio; d. Abt. 1895, killed in a Coal mine from a fall of slate.
Oct. 13, 1883, State of Ohio, Hocking County, personally came Aaron Burnard applying for License for Abram L. Burnard to be married to Rosa A. Vanhorn who being sworn says that the said Abram L. Burnard is over the age of twenty-one years and is unmarried, that the said Rosa A. Van Horn is over the age of eighteen years and is unmarried, that she resided is Hocking County and that he knows of no legal impediment to said marriage and also that they are not nearer of kin that second cousins. Aaron Burnard ,X his mark, Sworn and subscribed before me, this 13 day of Oct. AD 1883. W.T. Acker Judge. I certify that I solemnized the marriage of Abraham L. Burnard and Rosa A. Van Horn on the 14th day of October 1883, Rev. James Glover. 10-13-1883 Marriage License was this day granted to Mr. Abram L. Burnard and wife Rosa A. Van Horn W.T. Acker Probate Judge.
Rossetta A. Van Horn was the daughter of James Thomas Van Horn and Avis McElfresh formerly of Morgan County.
Children of Abraham Lincoln Burnard and Rosa VanHorn: Ruth Burnard that married Alexander Smidley, Hulda Jane Burnard that married James Lantz, John Burnard that married Mary Alexander, Clara B. Burnard that married Charles Coen, Golden V. Burnard that married Cleveland Alexander , and Josiah Joel M. Burnard that married Ruby.
Abraham Lincoln Burnard died in a coal mine accident around 1895. Rosetta remarried to Samuel John Alexander and had a child Lenith Alexander with him.
1910 census for Coalgate Ward Township
Rosette Alexander widow age 44 6 children, 5 living Ohio Ohio Ohio speaks English a Laundress
Josiah M Burnard son 17 coal miner
Lenith Alexander daughter age 4 Ohio Ohio Ohio daughter
Ed R. Parks age 26 P P O married 7 years
Elizabeth (Johnson) Parks age 23 Ohio Eng Eng 4 children 3 living
Odrin P. son age 4
Margerette daughter 3
Pricilla daughter 8/12
I found this census interesting because Abraham and Rosetta's daughter Hulda Burnard married James Lantz and when Hulda died in 1921 from complications of childbirth, James Lantz married to the widow Elizabeth Johnson Parks. Elizabeth was a widow at that time because her husband Ed Parks had died in a coal mine accident in Murray City and James tried to save him but brought him out of the mine and he died. Mr. Parks was buried in the Murray City cemetery. James married Elizabeth soon afterwards and they moved to Belmont county so he could work in the coal mines there in Lansing. James Lantz and his father John Lantz are buried in the Lansing Cemetery near Blaine, Ohio. James Lantz and Hulda Burnard had several children:
Hocking County Death Certificate, Ward Township May 8, 1920 Hulda Jane Lantz
died of complicating pregnancy, signed by Dr. Cox May 10, 1920, Murray City Ohio
Burial in Bethel Ridge Cemetery on May 11, 1920. Signed by James Lantz of Murray
City, Ohio. Her father was Lincoln Bernard born in Ohio and her mother was Rosa Vanhorn
born in Ohio. She was born 7-25-1885. At death she was 35 years, nine months, and 15 days old. Her occupation was domestic.
Bethel Ridge Cemetery list in Peters Papers, OU Library Archives shows Hulda Jane Lantz, 1884-1920. Also in the cemetery, Rosa M. Lantz, daughter of John and Sarah Lantz, died July 2, 1890, aged 1 year and 16 days.
Athens County Birth Indexes - James and Hulda Burnard Lantz TRIMBLE TWSHP 096
Willie Lantz born 7-11-1902
Girl Lantz born 6-18-1915
Girl Lantz born 5-1-1920 .
Children of James Lantz and Hulda Jane Burnard were: William Lee Lantz , Beatrice Lillian Lantz, Carrie Juanita Lantz, Pearl Alonzo Lantz, Bessie Mae Lantz, Clara Imojean Lantz , Donald Lantz and Ruth Lavella Lantz.
5. viii. ULYSSES GRANT BURNARD, b. 1868, Trimble township, Athens county, Ohio; d. 1935, Salem Hollow Cemetery.
In the 1910 census living in Ward township Coalgate
Grant Burnard 41, wife Dora B. (Johnson) married 18 years
Mary Burnard mother age 81 widow 8 kids 6 living born in Pa Pa Pa
ix. CASH BURNARD, b. 1871.
Generation No. 2
2. SARAH E.3 BURNARD (AARON2 BERNARD, JONAS1) was born 1845. She married William RUTTER. Sarah is listed with her parents in the 1860 and 1870 census. Her husband is not listed with her in the 1870 census suggesting he may have died between 1868 and 1870.
Child of SARAH BURNARD and WILLIAM RUTTER is:
i. THOMAS J.4 RUTTER, b. 1869.
3. WILLIAM BILL3 BERNARD (AARON2, JONAS1) was born 1852, and died June 14, 1926 in Athens county, Ohio Chauncey. He married NANCY J. SPEARS 1870. She was born 1852, and died Bef. 1920.
Children of WILLIAM BERNARD and NANCY SPEARS are:
i. ELIZABETH4 BERNARD, b. 1871.
6. ii. JAMES JOHNNIE BERNARD, b. 1872, Ringgold; d. Millersburg.
iii. MARTIN BERNARD, b. 1875, Ringgold coal miner in Trimble twp Athens county, Ohio; d. July 06, 1942, Glouster, Athens county Ohio Jacksonville; m. ANNA.
iv. IDA MAE BERNARD, b. 1876; d. 1911; m. VINCENT WARD.
v. FRANCES BERNARD, b. 1879.
7. vi. GEORGE BERNARD, b. 1880, Ringgold; d. October 18, 1944, Guysville, Athens County, Ohio Maplewood Cem. Glouster, Ohio.
vii. AARON BERNARD, b. 1883, Ringgold; Glouster, Athens county Ohio Greens Run.
8. viii. CLARENCE BERNARD, b. 1887, Ringgold; d. 1965, Maplewood Cem Glouster, Ohio.
4. ABRAHAM LINCOLN3 BURNARD (AARON2 BERNARD, JONAS1) was born 1861 in Athens County, Ohio, and died Abt. 1895 killed in Coal mine fall of slate. He married ROSETTA A. VANHORN October 14, 1883 in Hocking County- Rev. James Glover Volume E page 208, daughter of JAMES VANHORN and AVIS MCELFRESH. She was born July 1865 in Morgan County, Ohio, and died Aft. 1910 in Hocking County, Ohio.
Children of ABRAHAM BURNARD and ROSETTA VANHORN are:
i. RUTH MAE4 BURNARD, m. ALEXANDER SMIDLEY.
9. ii. HULDA JANE BURNARD, b. July 25, 1885, Athens County, OH Hartleyville,; d. May 08, 1920, Hocking County, Ohio married James Lantz.
iii. JOHN BURNARD, b. February 1886; m. MARY ALEXANDER.
iv. CLARA B. BURNARD, b. June 1889; m. CHARLes COEN.
v. GOLDEN V. BURNARD, b. July 1891; m. CLEVELAND ALEXANDER.
vi. JOSIAH JOE BURNARD, b. February 1895; m. RUBY.
5. ULYSSES GRANT3 BURNARD (AARON2 BERNARD, JONAS1) was born 1868 in Trimble township, Athens county, Ohio, and died 1935 in Salem Hollow Cemetery. He married DORA B. JOHNSON 1892. She died Abt. 1920 during the flu epidemic.
Children of ULYSSES BURNARD and DORA JOHNSON are:
i. EPHRAIM4 BURNARD, b. February 19, 1895, Pvt. Co. C 106 Machine Gun BN WWI; d. June 11, 1963, buried in Salem Hollow Cemetery.
10. ii. LILLIAN M. BURNARD, b. 1901, Hocking county, Ohio; d. 1972
iii. MINNIE ALLIS BURNARD, b. 1905.
iv. JAMES OLIVER BURNARD, b. 1906; d. 1967, Salem Hollow Cemetery.
Generation No. 3
6. JAMES JOHNNIE4 BERNARD (WILLIAM BILL3, AARON2, JONAS1) was born 1872 in Ringgold, and died in Millersburg. He married BERNICE.
Child of JAMES BERNARD and BERNICE is:
i. JOHN D.5 BERNARD.
7. GEORGE4 BERNARD (WILLIAM BILL3, AARON2, JONAS1) was born 1880 in Ringgold, and died October 18, 1944 in Guysville, Athens County, Ohio Maplewood Cem. Glouster, Ohio. He married SARAH NELLIE PAYLOR. She was born 1882, and died 1961 in Maplewood Cem Glouster, Ohio.
Children of GEORGE BERNARD and SARAH PAYLOR are:
i. GERTRUDE5 BERNARD, m. UNKNOWN MORGAN.
ii. JACK BERNARD.
iii. ROBERT BERNARD.
iv. HARVEY BERNARD, b. 1904.
v. ARNOLD BERNARD, b. 1906.
vi. VERN BERNARD, b. 1910.
vii. ERNEST H. BERNARD, b. 1913; d. 1931, Maplewood Cem Glouster, Ohio.
viii. ALTHEA BERNARD, b. 1916; m. UNKNOWN WHALEY.
ix. HERMAN BERNARD, b. 1918.
x. JOE BERNARD,; m. BESSIE.
8. CLARENCE4 BERNARD (WILLIAM BILL3, AARON2, JONAS1) was born 1887 in Ringgold, and died 1965 in Maplewood Cem Glouster, Ohio. He married AGNES WOOD November 28, 1907 in Athens County, Ohio Volume15 page 247. She was born 1893, and died 1965 in Maplewood Cem Glouster, Ohio.
Children of CLARENCE BERNARD and AGNES WOOD are:
i. DONNA5 BERNARD.
ii. CHESTER BERNARD, b. 1908.
iii. THELMA BERNARD, b. 1910; d. 1983, Maplewood Cem Glouster, Ohio; m. UNKNOWN GRUBIE.
iv. BEATRICE BERNARD, b. 1912, Glouster; d. 1927, Athens County, Ohio Glouster, Maplewood Cemetery.
v. ELDREN BERNARD, b. 1917.
vi. DELBERT BERNARD, b. April 29, 1923; d. April 17, 1989, Maplewood Cem Glouster, Ohio.
9. HULDA JANE4 BURNARD (ABRAHAM LINCOLN3, AARON2 BERNARD, JONAS1) was born July 25, 1885 in Athens County, OH Hartleyville,, and died May 08, 1920 in Hocking County, Ohio. She married JAMES HENRY LANTZ August 18, 1901 in Hocking County, OH, son of JOHN LANTZ and SARAH LOPER. He was born July 29, 1882 in Vinton County, OH Zaleskie, and died February 22, 1943 in Belmont County, OH Lansing, Ohio.
Children of HULDA BURNARD and JAMES H. LANTZ are:
i. WILLIAM LEE5 LANTZ, b. July 11, 1902, Athens County, Ohio; d. 1980, Perry County, Ohio New Lexington; m. GRACE MATHENY, Abt. 1924, Hocking County, Ohio.
ii. BEATRICE LILLIAN LANTZ, b. September 24, 1904, Athens County, Ohio; d. July 28, 1962, Athens county, Ohio; m. WILLIAM EARL WRIGHT, November 01, 1924, Athens County, OH; b. October 26, 1902, Athens County, OH; d. July 02, 1990, Fairfield County, OH Lancaster.
iii. CARRIE JUANITA LANTZ, b. 1907, Athens County; d. September 21, 2002, Zanesville, Ohio; m. ALBERT (BUCK) DISHON; d. April 09, 1974.
iv. PEARL ALONZO LANTZ, b. 1908, Athens County; d. 1998, Perry County, Ohio; m. VIVIAN SWEAZY; b. 1909; d. 1995, Perry County, Ohio.
v. BESSIE MAE LANTZ, b. 1913, Athens County, Ohio; d. November 1982, Hocking County; m. DONALD WRIGHT, 1939; b. 1913, Athens County; d. 1988, Hocking County Gore Route 1.
vi. CLARA IMOGENE LANTZ, b. June 18, 1915, Athens County; d. Lives in Illinois in 2003.
vii. DONALD JAMES LANTZ, b. 1917, Athens County; d. lives in Murray City, Ohio; m. RUTH MCMANAWAY; b. 1924, Hocking County; d. July 1981, Hocking County Greenlawn Cem..
viii. RUTH LAVELLA LANTZ, b. May 01, 1920, Athens County; d. Lives in Columbus in 2002; m. ALFRED JOHNSON; b. 1917.
10. LILLIAN M.4 BURNARD (ULYSSES GRANT3, AARON2 BERNARD, JONAS1) was born 1901 in Hocking county, Ohio, and died 1972. She married (1) UNKNOWN BENNETT. She married (2) WALTER R. SPENCER Abt. 1920 in Hocking County, Ohio, son of JAMES SPENCER and KATHERINE LANNING. He was born 1898 in Salem Hollow, and died March 15, 1940 in Logan, Ohio Hocking county hospital of appendicitis operation.
Children of LILLIAN BURNARD and WALTER SPENCER are:
i. LAWRENCE5 BENNETT, b. 1918; d. 1944, WWII.
ii. EARNEST JOE SPENCER, b. 1921, died July 2004; m. DOROTHY L. SMATHERS; b. May 09, 1925; d. September 30, 1997, Buchtel, Athens county, Ohio.
iii. MELROSE SPENCER, b. February 19, 1922, Murray City, Ohio; d. February 20, 2000, Fairfield county, Ohio Medical center resided in Murray City, Ohio; m. GEORGE C. KINNISON; b. November 03, 1917, Jobs, Ohio; d. September 06, 1996, Logan, Ohio Hocking county hospital resided in Murray.
iv. KATHLEEN D. CASSIE SPENCER, b. April 06, 1924, Murray City, Ohio; d. March 23, 2002, Lancaster, Ohio; m. JOHN JUNIOR SNYDER.
v. ARTHUR SPENCER, b. 1926
vi. RONALD SPENCER
vii. LEONARD SPENCER ; m. FREIDA.
viii. ROBERT BOB SPENCER, m. BARBARA.
ix. WILLIAM BILL SPENCER; m. ADRIAN SORRELLS;
x. ELEANOR SPENCER, b. September 14, 1940, Spencer Hollow, Newtown, Ohio; d. July 04, 1994, Nelsonville, Ohio.
Possible relative of Mary McCullough Burnard living nearby in the Ward township census:
1880 census Ward township possible relative maybe brother to Mary?
V. MC CULLOUGH Self W Male W 39 OH Mines Coal PA PA
James MC CULLOUGH Son S Male W 13 OH Mines Coal OH OH
Thomas MC CULLOUGH Son S Male W 11 OH OH OH
Edward MC CULLOUGH Son S Male W 9 OH OH OH
Westley MC CULLOUGH Son S Male W 6 OH OH OH
Sarah MC CULLOUGH Dau S Female W ... OH OH OH
Rosy REESE Other W Female W 34 OH Keeping House OH OH
Sarah POWELL Mother W Female W 77 PA PA PA
Census Place Ward, Hocking, Ohio
Family History Library Film 1255034
NA Film Number T9-1034
Page Number 168B
We are more than happy to add any genealogy, family information that anyone would like to share!
HTML by Sandra Mitchell Quinn
Athens county, OHGENWEB
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED