Col. William Bion Mason. Born Adams, Ohio on Aug 16, 1823. Died Marietta, Ohio on Nov 11, 1885. Descent: (Capt. Hugh, Joseph, Joseph Jr., Joseph, William Bond, William Bond Jr.). Residence: Marietta, Ohio. Data from Mason.

Mr. Mason received most of his education in a country school, but being an ambitious scholar and a great reader he amassed a good store of information. When seventeen he entered College at Meadville, Pa., but two years later returned home. For several years he taught school in Ohio, then a year in Iowa, but as his health was not good lie returned home. He was an excellent pennian and had no difficulty in securing scholars for his writing school. After his marriage he purchased a house in Upper Lowell, Ohio, and there began housekeeping, July 15, 1852. The following spring he purchased another house and some land which was a part of his father's farm, and remained there until June 1854, when he moved to Lowell.

In 1855 he was elected recorder of Washington Co., and in November 1855, moved his family to Marietta. He was reelected in 1858 and served until January 1861, when he resigned, notary public 1859 to 1862, park commissioner 1876 to 1879.

He served in the Civil War, was commissioned Captain of Co. D, 1st Reg't., 3d Brigade, 7th Div. O.V.M., enrolled and mustered out July 27, 1861. June 23, by order of the adjutant-general of the state, several military companies were sent to guard the Marietta and Cincinnati Railroad, as Gen. McLellan feared that his communications would be interrupted and that his supplies might be cut off by the destruction of the bridge and trestle work on this railroad. One of these companies was "The Union Blues," commanded by Capt. William B. Mason, until October 10, 1861, when he resigned. The same day he enlisted as private in the U. S. Army and was ordered to report at Columbus, Ohio, and October 11, was mustered in as 2d lieutenant, serving until December 2, 1861, when he was promoted to captain and ordered to report to Col. Jesse Hildebrand of the 77th O.V.I. He is described as "5 ft. 8 in. high, dark complexion, dark eyes, dark hair, occupation when enrolled, a County Recorder." He served as captain of Company B, until August 26, 1862, when he was made major, and April 18, 1863, he was made colonel, and served until mustered out December 31, 1864, at the close of the war, his service being three years, five months and four days. He participated in the Battle of Shiloh, April 6 and 7, 1862, Falling Timbers, Tenn., April 8, 1862, Corinth, Miss., April 30 to May 30, 1862, Little Rock, Ark., September 10, 1863, Okolona, Ark., April 3, 1864, Prairie D'Ann, Ark., April 10 to 13, 1864, Mark's Mills, Ark., April 25, 1864, Jenkins' Ferry, Ark., April 30, 1864, Spanish Fort, Ala., March 26 to April 8, 1865. He was wounded and taken prisoner April 8, 1862, but made his escape in about twenty minutes, and before the Siege of Little Rock, September 4, 1863, he met with a bad accident, his horse becoming, entangled in some telegraph wire, became unmanageable and fell, throwing Col. Mason.

After the war he returned to Lowell, as during his absence his family had moved there, but later returned to Marietta. May 1, 1865, he was appointed by Andrew Jackson to be assistant assessor for the 15th District of Ohio, 1st Div., county treasurer 1866, and in 1868 was a candidate for reelection. The election resulted in a tie which was decided by lot and his Democratic competitor was successful in the drawing. In 1870 he was appointed by President Grant as postmaster at Marietta and served two terms (eight years). After that he engaged in the mercantile business with his son, William Mason, but owing to ill health gave it very little personal attention.

He was baptized at Lowell, December 15, 1855, and joined the church at Marietta, January 24, 1860. He was elected clerk and was also trustee and a member of a standing committee. His wife was baptized December 1842 and joined the church at Lowell from which she was dismissed January 20, 1856, and joined the church at Marietta, January 25, 1856.

He married Lucetta Bishop Mason, daughter of William Mason & Luna Sprague, on May 25, 1852 in Washington Co., Ohio. Born Adams, Ohio on Nov 4, 1827. Died Marietta, Ohio on May 9, 1921. Data from Mason.


  1. Mary Eliza. Born Adams Township, Washington Co., Ohio on May 4, 1854. Died Marietta, Ohio on Feb 17, 1929. Descent: (Capt. Hugh, Joseph, Joseph Jr., Joseph, William Bond, William Bond Jr., William Bion). Data from Mason. Miss Mason graduated from the Marietta High School, 1874, and was a member of the First Baptist Church. She was also a member of the Colonial Dames, Daughters of the American Revolution, Pioneer Society, and Centennial Society, and active in all these organizations. She was greatly interested in genealogical research and gathered considerable data on the Mason family by traveling in the East, also at Washington, and through correspondence. After her death it was published in book form and placed in several libraries and historical societies.

  2. William Bion. Born Marietta, Ohio on Jan 17, 1857. Died on Jul 6, 1907. Descent: (Capt. Hugh, Joseph, Joseph Jr., Joseph, William Bond, William Bond Jr., William Bion). Unmarried. Data from Mason. Mr. Mason received his education in the public schools of Marietta. He entered the post office as clerk, under his father, at the age of sixteen, and served with the latter during the last five years of his incumbency, as assistant postmaster. Later he was engaged in the mercantile line with his father and carried on the business three years after his father's death. In 1889 he was in the U. S. Railway Mail Service, and June 21, 1901, received the appointment for chief clerk. Was a member of Knights of Pythias, Blue Lodge, No. 390; took F. & A. M., entered Apprentice, December 18, 1894; Fellow Craft, February 5, 1895; Master Mason, April 9, 1895; Royal Arch, June 23, 1895; R. & S. M., May 24, 1907; Commandery, Red Cross, August 6, 1895; Templar, January 3, 1896; Malta, September 4, 1896; also belonged to Putnam St. Artillery, 1st Reg't., Ohio National Guards. Mustered in as private, December 23, 1881; mustered out December 29, 1886. Was an officer in that regiment. Mr. Mason was possessed of a generous disposition and devoted to his mother and sister.

Contributed by: Debbie Noland Nitsche

[ Biographies ] Washington Co [ Webmaster ]